Interviews with Bernard Khoury
We interviewed Lebanese architect Bernard Khoury during the making of the film “Arab Women in Architecture,” which was produced as an activity of the 2013 sixth cycle of the Omrania | CSBE Student Award for Excellence in Architectural Design. During the interviews, Bernard talked about women in architecture, and also about much more.
We accordingly produced the two following short videos from Bernard’s interviews in which he talks about his family, shares memories of his journey as a young architect, and contemplates about the practice of architecture in Lebanon.
Bernard Khoury is the founder of the architectural office DW5 / Bernard Khoury, which he established in Beirut in 1993. He studied architecture at the Rhode Island school of Design at Harvard University's Graduate School of Design. His work features a wide range of residential, commercial, institutional, entertainment, and multi-use development projects.
His work has been exhibited internationally. He is the recipient of a number of awards including an honorable mention in 2001 from the Borromini Prize, which is given to architects under 40 years of age by the Municipality of Rome, and the Architecture + Award in 2004. He also taught as a visiting professor at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, the École Spéciale d'Architecture in Paris, and the American University of Beirut. He also was a jury member of the 2013 sixth cycle of the Omrania | CSBE Student Award for Excellence in Architectural Design.
For additional information, check out www.bernardkhoury.com
This 56-minute documentary film features interviews with nineteen Arab architects from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, and Saudi Arabia. It explores the subject of the practice of architecture by Arab women architects and features stories on their experiences, challenges, and achievements. In order to facilitate viewing, the film is divided into six sequels.
The film was first screened during the Award's sixth cycle ceremony, which took place on January 7, 2014 at the German Jordanian University's Othman Bdeir House for Architecture and Design in Amman, Jordan.
A 1-minute trailer is also available for the film. Click here to view it.
Film screening sessions:
- Middle East Alternative Sound & Arts Festival 2014, Athens, Greece. June 1, 2014. Click here to view the event flyer.
- American University of Beirut, Department of Architecture and Design, Beirut, Lebanon. April 28, 2014. Click here to view the event flyer. Click here to view images of the screening session.
- Women in Architecture Committee, The American Institute of Architects - New York (AIANY), New York, The United States. February 27, 2014. Click here to view the event flyer.
- Riwaq Centre for Architectural Conservation, Ramallah, Palestine. January 29, 2014. Click here to view the event flyer.
- The Omrania | CSBE Student Award sixth-cycle ceremony at the German Jordanian University, Othman Bdeir House for Architecture and Design, Amman, Jordan. Jaunary 7, 2014. Click here to view images of the screening session.
This 35-minute film explores the subject of architectural education. It features interviews with nineteen architects representing diverse age groups and training backgrounds. In these interviews, they talk about memorable student experiences that have helped form them as architects. The film was first screened at the fifth-cycle ceremony of the Omrania | CSBE Student Award for Excellence in Architectural Design, which took place at the American University of Sharjah on December 5, 2012.
Also, a 50-minute video has been put together about the Omrania | CSBE Student Award fifth-cycle ceremony. It features the opening remarks made at the ceremony, the film "Architectural Memories: The Student Years" (except for the credits at the end), and the awarding of prizes to the winning students. (Click here) to watch the video.
Film screening sessions:
- Columbia Global Centers | Middle East, Amman, Jordan. January 21, 2013. Click here to view the event flyer. Click here to view images of the screening session.
- The Omrania | CSBE Student Award fifth-cycle ceremony, American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. December 5, 2012.
This 10-minute film features information on the Award’s mission and its evolution, the film was first shown at the Award's fourth cycle ceremony, which took place at the American University of Beirut.
Film screening session:
- The Omrania | CSBE Student Award fourth-cycle ceremony at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. December 12, 2011.
Three short movies covering the topics of: Principles of Water-Conserving Landscapes, Maintaining Water-Conserving Landscapes, and Conducting a Water Audit
CSBE has produced three films on water-conserving landscapes, the films are entitled Principles of Water-Conserving Landscapes, Maintaining Water-Conserving Landscapes, and Conducting a Water Audit, and are part of the Instituting Water Demand Management in Jordan Project (IDARA), which was funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The three films support the Landscape Water Use Efficiency Guide, which is also available on the CSBE web site. The guide provides considerable information about the efficient use of water in the design, installation, management, and maintenance of urban landscapes in Jordan.
This 30-minute film, directed by Dalia Al-Kury, and produced by the Center for the Study of the Built Environment (CSBE), features three stories of Jordanian innovators: Ammar Sajdi, an electrical engineer who developed an elevator control system that is now used throughout Jordan; Rawan Qubrosi, an architect whose vision that architecture should be accessible has led her to design and create multifunctional temporary structures that may be easily assembled and disassembled; and Laith Al-Qasem and Fawaz Al-Zoubi, the creators of Jordan's first automobile, Badiya. Their stories are united by an inspirational level of determination and commitment, as well as a hands-on approach to innovation.
A 2-minute trailer of the film “Innovation. Design. Fabrication. Three stories on Jordanian innovators,” is available online, (click here) to watch the trailer.
Film screening sessions:
- Ruwwad, Amman, Jordan. May 15, 2014. Click here to view an image of the screening session.
- Jubilee School Career Day, Amman, Jordan. April 15, 2014
- Bishop's School, Amman, Jordan. December 5, 2012. Click here to view images of the screening session.
- Columbia Global Centers | Middle East, Amman, Jordan. November 12, 2012. Click here to view event flyer. Click here to view images of the screening session.